Sunday, June 30, 2013

Help is Hard.

"I believe that what God has placed inside of me is superior to the mountains that stand in my way" --unknown

The above quote has got to be one of my favorites. However, for a while I think I only had a partial understanding of its meaning. I simply believed that God put ALL the strength I would need to overcome my trials inside of me from the beginning. But maybe that isn't entirely true...

Making the decision to admit myself into a treatment facility was a lot harder than I thought it would be. At first I was all about it, but as my admit date got closer and closer, I found myself feeling extreme amounts of guilt about receiving help. I think this was because I had always believed that God had already given me all the strength I need to overcome my trials, so relying on others to help me seemed so foolish. This was a thought I wrestled with even after I had been in treatment for a few weeks.

Now, looking back on everything, I have a completely different outlook. Do I believe that we can find all the strength we need in God? Yes. But here is something else I believe. I believe that God gives us strength in multiple ways, and one of those ways is through others. So next time you're feeling guilty about asking for or receiving help from others, you must catch yourself. Do NOT allow your guilt to turn away a helping hand, because essentially, that hand you're turning away is God's.

To go along with that, we should also remember that God is also using us as an instrument to help his other children who may be in need. So if you find yourself in a position to do so, don't hesitate to offer someone support they need.

No comments:

Post a Comment